Fall in Portland is here! The beginning of autumn is the perfect time to check for home maintenance issues. The weather is mild and the sun still sets late in the day. Here is my checklist – learned over the course of many home inspections! – that I use to check for defects on my home:
- Notepad in hand, I check my roof for moss and wavy roof tiles. I look at the chimney and check for cracks in the mortar, and I make sure the gutters and downspouts are free of debris. If you feel uncomfortable on the roof, feel free to ask me for a qualified professional referral.
- If your roof needs any cleaning, I would recommend using a professional roofer. Roofs can be surprisingly delicate, so please reach out to me if you need a roofer recommendation.
- While on the roof, I check for overhanging branches from nearby trees that may cause harm in the event of a windstorm.
- I then walk the perimeter of my home to look for peeling paint or windows in need of re-caulking.
- After this, I look at any decking to check for rotting. I follow this up to look for cracks in the foundation and driveway.
I keep a lengthy list of contractors on hand should you need a recommendation. Don’t hesitate to reach out! I’m always here for your Portland Real Estate needs.